Apple Pay is famous for making payments at grocery stores, fuel points and many other locations you need to visit daily. But, does Walmart also take Apple pay? That’s what we are here to find out.
Does Walmart Take Apple Pay? Walmart’s Policy on Apple Pay
As of 2021 Walmart has changed its policy on Apple pay and does not accept it anymore at any outlet. Well, worry not you can still pay with your iPhone using Walmart pay.
Why Walmart Does Not Accept Apple Pay?
There are many reasons why Walmart doesn’t accept other digital payment options anymore.
Initially, most people thought that it was because the company had launched their own app, Walmart Pay, and wanted customers to use that instead.
But as it turns out, Walmart had stopped accepting Apple pay as a mode of payment even before the launch of Walmart Pay.
Turns out, they had an agreement with a company named MCX which is a short form for Merchant Customer Exchange. MCX is a staunch, direct competitor of Apple pay and only accepts payment solutions using QR code scanning method.
Lastly, third party payment apps like Apple Pay charge processing fees which affects the profit margin of Walmart.
Walmart Pay: How To Set It Up On Your iPhone?
In order to facilitate the iPhone users, Walmart has launched Walmart Pay. It is very easy to set up and use. We will be explaining the whole process step by step so don’t go anywhere!
- First you need to download the “Walmart” application from the app store. It is available for both iPhones and android phones.
- Sign up for the free account using a valid email address.
- After signup, you need to link up your credit/debit card to the Walmart pay.
- Go To Account.
- Choose Payment Method and tap + icon where you can add the relevant card.
- Set up a pin code and choose to use touch ID or face ID.
You can add a gift card as payment method and can even link more than one card to your Walmart pay account.
How to use Walmart Pay
Now you can use Walmart pay to pay for your purchases at any Walmart.
- Ring up your purchases at the self-checkout counter or the register.
- Open Walmart Pay App.
- Scan the QR code once the total amount comes up.
- Enter The Pin Code or verify through Touch ID.
- Confirm payment via App.
At the end you will get a digital receipt with a unique barcode for your purchase.
What Are Other Accepted Forms of Payments At Walmart?
Walmart Pay is not the only accepted payment method at Walmart, you can use the following payment methods as well:
- Visa card
- Gift Cards
- Walmart Card
Is There An Alternative Way of Using Apple Pay at Walmart?
If you are comfortable using Apple pay and don’t want to use Walmart pay and or other option, then there is a way you can do so.
You will have to use a third-party app called Ibotta.
It is basically a cashback and rewards payment application that lets you save on shopping at various stores by giving 2% cashback at each purchase.
To use Apple Pay using Ibotta:
- You will have to install the Ibotta app in your iPhone.
- Link your Apple Pay account to it.
- Afterwards, when you shop at Walmart, pay using the Ibotta app by selecting Apple Pay as the payment method.
This method works but there is a big drawback to it. Ibotta does not work at all stores and for all the items at Walmart. You will have to find these acceptable items beforehand.
Stores That Accept Apple Pay For Contactless Payments
So what, if Walmart doesn’t accept Apple pay, you can still use it at hundreds of stores nationwide to pay for clothes, groceries or entertainment. Listed below are some well known brands and retailers that accept Apple pay: