If you are, like me, continuously looking for platform that will let you buy now pay later with Afterpay, Amazon must have crossed your mind as a potential option. However, with little information highlighted on the official websites, buyers still don’t know the answer to does Amazon take Afterpay or not? I will give you a precise answer!
Can You Use Afterpay On Amazon For Payments?
Afterpay is a popular buy now pay later option that many retailers are working with now to make everyday purchases lighter on consumer’s pockets.
With Amazon being one of the largest online retailer in the world, it becomes an obvious concern for the buyers to figure out can you use Afterpay on Amazon or not.
You can not use Afterpay on Amazon and it is highly unlikely that this payment method will be introduced on Amazon.com any time soon.
That’s a disappointment! Amazon has a wide selection of products and thanks to the fast shipping times, majority of online buyers from around the globe consider it as their first go-to place for shopping.
There is no need to skip out on your plan to shop at Amazon.com just because it does not accept Afterpay buy now pay later. Below I will tell you why this is the case and what are some alternatives to consider. Stay here!
Why Does Amazon Not Take Afterpay?
You will find the answer to this question in the fact that Amazon has its own payment option, the Amazon Pay. Therefore, Amazon encourages buyers to use it instead of diverting them to other payment methods.
Moreover, there are additional fees if Amazon chooses to accept Afterpay. In order to avoid these, the platform does not encourages consumers to go for other buy now pay later payment options.
What Are Other Ways To Buy Now Pay Later on Amazon?
Amazon understands how important it is to provide their customers with multiple options when it comes to payment methods.
It is also aware that BNPL programs are quite in demand nowadays. So even though Afterpay is not supported, there are other buy now pay later options that I will talk to you about in the next section.
Similar to Afterpay, Amazon does not support Klarna. Some users have pointed out that workarounds as applicable to Afterpay are useful with Klarna on Amazon as well but I could not find any solid evidence of this payment option being used, in any way, at Amazon.
You can, however, apply for the Klarna ghost credit card and check it out for yourself. It is said that this credit card works on Amazon just like any other credit card and you can enter the card information in the payment field at Amazon checkout to split purchase costs.
Amazon partnered with Affirm in early days of its operation so you can easily use Affirm financing to buy products on Amazon. The option will be available after you log in your account and add the desired items to cart.
Then you can proceed to the checkout and locate “Pay with Affirm” option there. However, this is only possible if your purchase order is above $50.
The requirements will be approved before the Affirm financing option becomes available. Once you have added the contact information to your Amazon account, there will be no need fill long forms for future purchases.
You can also choose to save your credit or payment information when checking out. In this way, any product you buy later on will not require you to enter any sort of data before the payment can be processed.
Unfortunately, Amazon does not work with Sezzle. You can look into similar BNPL platforms that are supported by Amazon but there are no hopes for Sezzle to be added as an option any time soon.
Sezzle virtual credit card is sometimes accepted on Amazon at the checkout for specific payments only.
Moreover, Sezzle is accepted at a variety of other stores, online and physical, for buy now pay later financing. It does not charge any additional fee for the service but it is recommended that you check the fine print before making any purchase.
Amazon works with both, ZipPay and ZipMoney. You can add these payment methods to your Amazon account and then use them to pay whenever necessary without manually entering the information every time.
ZipPay is ideal for many buyers as it offers credit with no cost for purchases that exceed $1500. On the other hand, ZipMoney provides credit of up to $3000 during a restricted no-interest period of 6 months.
5. Amazon Pay
One of the most reliable ways to buy now and pay later on Amazon is to use Amazon Pay. This app allows you to link a debit card or credit card directly to your Amazon account.
Then you can use the specific cards to make purchases at Amazon.com. The option to pay in installments will show up at the checkout.
Once you have added debit/credit card to your Amazon account, you can choose Amazon Pay for the payment without manually adding data everytime you purchase. If you are new to this, consider signing up for Amazon Pay service right now.
6. Afterpay One-Time Use Credit Card
I just confirmed that Amazon does not take Afterpay but there is a workaround that you can make use of instead.
Although Afterpay app is not an option, you can utilize Afterpay one-time use credit card to split up payments on Amazon as the website recognizes this as any other credit card and will not turn it down as a payment option.
You can use the credit line for the purchases and then pay back weekly or bi-weekly the amount that you spend.
What Retailers Accept Afterpay BNPL?
So, Amazon is off the list of retailers that allow you to use Afterpay. Don’t be disappointed because there are hundreds of other stores that will be more than happy to take Afterpay BNPLs with you. I will shortly discuss some of these below.
1. Beauty Brands
Leading beauty brands that take Afterpay include Credo Beauty, The Cosmetics Company Store, MAC Cosmetics, and Jo Malone London.
There are some accessory brands that work with Afterpay as well. These include Crocs, LensCrafters, Pandora, and Steve Madden.
3. Clothing Retailers
Clothing retailers like Levi’s, Forever 21, Dillards, Urban Outfitters, and UGG are some of the most prominent names that accept Afterpay. Other popular clothing brands on the list include Fabletics, Pacsun, and Old Navy.
How Does Afterpay Buy Now Pay Later Works?
Afterpay is one of the most reputable and safe buy now pay later service that is currently accepted as a payment option at multiple websites. You can use it to make expensive purchases affordable by splitting the cost into smaller installments.
It provide you with a set amount of credit limit that you can use for shopping. Then you have to pay back the borrowed amount within a specific time period.
If you are new to Afterpay service, you will need to set up an account first. This will require you to provide full name, contact address, phone number, credit card number or debit card number.
Then you may have to wait a couple of minutes for approval. Once activated, you will be able to choose Afterpay option at the checkout and pay directly with a linked card.
Afterpay BNPL service need you to pay 25% of the cost of purchase as the first installment. The rest of the payments are divided into equal parts and you can choose to pay them weekly or bi-weekly.
There are no extra fees with Afterpay as long as you pay off the installments timely. Otherwise, the platform will charge you 10% penalty fee.
What Are Some Limitations on Using Afterpay?
Afterpay is a simple tool to use. It is compatible with a large number of retailers and online merchants. There is also a very flexible eligibility criteria making it an ideal buy now pay later payment method for many users.
- All Afterpay users must link valid debit card or credit card when setting up the account.
- The card that you choose to link with Afterpay must be registered on your name.
- Afterpay does not support the use of prepaid cards.
- Afterpay will not allow you to make any future purchases if the outstanding balance from the last purchase has not been paid off.
- In case you fail to make a payment, there will be a late fee you have to pay at the time of next payment.
- You can also not add new items to cart or place further orders if you are late in clearing the previous payments.
- Afterpay will give you a spending limit when you set up your account. You must adhere to these limits at all times. Responsible use over time can help you increase the spending limit gradually.
What Are Pros of Using Afterpay?
Afterpay can be very helpful if used correctly. It can help you with purchase of items that you can not afford to pay for upfront. The interest charges are minimal and there are no additional fees as long as you pay on time.
These are just some of the advantages. Let me walk you through more perks of becoming an Afterpay user!
- Afterpay is fast and easy to use. Moreover, it is compatible with a wide range of online retailers as well as physical stores.
- Approval for Afterpay will reach you within minutes.
- There is no need for an extensive background credit check when you sign up with Afterpay.
- You only need to provide social security number and other personal information but there is no hard check of your credit report to proceed.
- There are multiple Afterpay payment plans to choose from. These range from weekly to biweekly and monthly options.
- It is available as a payment option at many of the online retailer’s website. You just have to select it at the checkout and pay with a single tap.
- Buyers can gradually increase their spending limit by using Afterpay responsibly. In fact, the limit will be increased whenever you pay off a purchase on time.
- There is no interest as long as you pay on time.
- Afterpay is also a good option if you currently have a bad credit score or you are facing credit card debt.
Are There Cons of Using Afterpay Too?
Did you expect the platform to be free of any drawbacks? Think again because I have come across a few that are worth considering.
- There are still many prominent stores that do not support Afterpay as an option at the checkout.
- You have to pay a $10 fee in case you miss a payment. This will be added to the balance of the purchases when you pay off next time.
- Couple of late payments can mean you will end up paying more than the actual cost of the item.
- There is a spending limit with Afterpay and it can be quite low especially if you have just signed up with the service.
- Although Afterpay promises to increase the spending limit over time, many users have reported that their limit was never increased even after countless on-time payments.
- Afterpay does not allow you to pick a payment date. You can, however, choose if the payments will be weekly, biweekly or monthly.
- Once the date is set for the payment, you can alter it for the remaining installments.
- Afterpay, as well as other buy now pay later apps, encourage buyers to purchase things that they can not afford. This can result in high debt situation if not handled responsibly.
Before You Go!
There is no doubt that Afterpay is a popular payment method that a number of retailers accept now but since there is a handful that do not, I would recommend you check beforehand. Moreover, if you want to stick to Amazon purchases only, check out Amazon Pay to simplify shopping at Amazon.com.
Did you find this piece of reading interesting? You should further explore does Amazon take Netspend and also get into depth other stores that accept Amazon Pay!