If you have changed states or created a new account then you would want to know how to change routing number on Cash App. Luckily, you have landed on the right guide!
Cash App does more than just accepts funds from other accounts such as Chime. It can send money to your friends and family, help you manage finances, and now, invest in Bitcoins as well.
Moreover, the option of Cash App card now gives you the opportunity to have an impeccable debit card in your hands for daily use. You can load Cash App card at multiple locations and use it as per your need.
When Can You Change The Routing Number For Your Cash App Account?
There are only two instances in which you can change the routing number for your Cash App account.
- You create a new account. Consequently, you have to link it to a different email ID and phone number than your previous Cash App account.
- You move to a different state and create a new account. It would be linked to a different bank and therefore, routing number would be automatically changed.
This is the only correct answer to your query. Most users are hoping to find some hack that would let them change the routing number of their existing account but that, unfortunately, is not possible.
- Let us explain to you why!
The basic purpose of a routing number is to show where your Cash App account exists. It is not really up to you to choose a number of your choice.
Instead, it would be assigned to your account considering the location and the associated bank. Therefore, when you change either of these two factors, the routing number would automatically change.
For example, Lincoln Savings Bank for Cash App has 17 branches.
It owns up to 22 different routing number. Lets say you created the account in California and it was linked to the nearest bank. Now when you move states, to NYC perhaps, a new account would be needed that links to a local branch there.
How To Change the Routing Number on Cash App?
- Open Cash App on your smartphone and login your account by providing the credentials.
- Click on My Cash button present at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Now tap on Cash and in the next window, click on Get My Account Number.
- Choose Enable Account. The screen would now show you the existing account number and routing number. Copy it and move back to home-screen of your app.
- Now click on Personal and tap on the field where your previous address is added.
- Change the address to your current state and click on Update.
- Once the process is complete, follow the first 4 steps to reach the new routing number again and match it with the one you had copied previously to ensure that the update is, in fact, complete.
Why You Should Be Looking For The New Routing Number?
As we mentioned before, you need routing number of your Cash App account to perform a number of activities.
- First of all, it lets you receive funds on your account from other platforms like PayPal or Chime. Whenever a sender has to deposit funds in your account, the app would ask to provide routing number of the recipient account.
- Routing number is needed when you wish to pay your bills using Cash App. These included internet bills, charges for water or electricity, or other utilities such as telephone charges.
- It lets you set up direct deposits on your account. In order to enable direct deposits, you would have to enter the account number and routing number. (We have discussed this method in more detail in the next section. Take a look)
How To Enable Direct Deposits Using Your Cash App Routing Number
- Get hold of the new routing number for your account.
- Open Cash App and click on My Cash at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Get Account Number note down the routing number for your account along with other necessary details.
- Now click on Deposit & Transfer option given on the home-screen.
- Paste account information here to enable the direct deposit for your Cash App account.
Before You Go
We are hopeful that this guide would be enough for you to change the routing number next time.
However, if you are still having issues with the task, keep in mind that Cash App customer support team is one of the most helpful bunch of people you would find out here.
Moreover, some customers have problems trying to identify the bank to which their Cash App account is linked.
This is quite easy if you have the routing number with you! Simply do an online search on which bank owns this number and you would have the name that you are looking for.
Let us know about your experience with creating new Cash App account or changing the routing number of your own. Eagerly waiting for feedback!
Miriam Caldwell is a dedicated & expert freelance writer to educate people about personal finance management and budgeting. She shared her knowledge and published the articles at TheBalance.com, GOBankingRates, and BlissfullyDomestic.com. Many financial institutes pick Caldwell as the brilliant source for educational personal finance content.